Hurricane Sandy did a number on New York. While much of the city is returning to normal life, parts of the city are devastated.
At Kitchensurfing, we had an interesting week. But the best part of the week was being inspired by the chefs in our community. We got a call on Thursday from chefs that were headed to the Rockaways to prepare hot food for those in need. We sponsored them and we were shocked to hear the return report. We’ve decided to use our skills to help support our chefs that want to help.
In several communities around New York, people still don’t have power, and many are homeless. There’s emergency relief in place and it is not enough.
A hot meal is humanizing in a way that little else can be. There’s looting, people are afraid, it’s cold, and this week is bringing more bad weather. Kitchensurfing stands for a kind of grassroots hospitality and a belief that breaking bread with someone can right many wrongs. We’re jumping in to help with things that the internet is good at: connecting people together to share and pool resources.
- We’re looking for supporters to make small financial contributions towards food costs as our chefs work the kitchens.
- We have Kitchensurfing chefs donating their time and skills prepping hot dishes for hard hit areas.
- We’ve fronted the cost of transportation to shuttle hot food. We’re going to be partnering with others to shuttle.
- We’re subsidizing the ingredients cost for these chefs
- We’ve got multiple commissaries that are donating their space for our chefs to come and cook together
Recent commentsBlog comments powered by Disqus
- moon-goddess-mystic likes this
- recycledfrockery reblogged this from honeychiles-kitchen
- honeychiles-kitchen reblogged this from kitchensurfing
- afreevoice likes this
- sierrameintzer reblogged this from kitchensurfing
- eoingalla likes this
- trinibird reblogged this from msg
- musingsofagirlcalledrain likes this
- bombtune likes this
- cookedere reblogged this from kitchensurfing
- cookedere likes this
- arin likes this
- cdixon reblogged this from msg and added:
- cdixon likes this
- swsmh reblogged this from kitchensurfing and added:
- swsmh likes this
- rae-out reblogged this from kitchensurfing
- garychou reblogged this from christmasgorilla
- msg reblogged this from christmasgorilla
- thelittleemma reblogged this from kitchensurfing
- drownedmen likes this
- atomickittyandthecriticaltheory reblogged this from kitchensurfing
- chicksdigsaurs likes this
- hakasaksonfifht reblogged this from kitchensurfing
- stopstalkingmeromeo likes this
- ninakix reblogged this from kitchensurfing and added:
- messicajessica reblogged this from kitchensurfing
- timelordalex likes this
- thecasualdiner likes this
- This was featured in #Food
- wordbk likes this
- sebastianwaters likes this
- thatlameblog likes this
- christmasgorilla likes this
- thysz likes this
- john reblogged this from kitchensurfing and added:
- superette-us likes this
- slim likes this
- winesburgohio likes this
- chels likes this
- shrinkrants likes this
- matthew likes this
- ailines reblogged this from kitchensurfing
- kthread likes this
- ellewowest likes this
- christmasgorilla reblogged this from kitchensurfing and added:
- kitchensurfing posted this